Saturday, March 22, 2008

Revisiting Dolphy

Spending the weekend painting the garage. Yes, no joy. But, it gives me lots of time to listen to music, so I basically pulled out everything I hadn't listened to in a while. Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch managed to make the cut, and I almost put it away without listening to it, but then I thought, aw hell, let's try it. The last time I listened to it, which was probably the second time overall, I had to turn it off. The dissonance, or whatever you want to call it, was wearing me out. This time, I listened to it the whole way through, and I didn't find it half bad. Maybe my jazz ears are finally developing, I don't know. I'll probably give it another try today or tomorrow.

Becoming a jazz musician is a process. I'm glad to find I'm making some progress.

No comments: