Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Piano Instructor Pith

Two weeks ago, my piano instructor had to cancel my lesson. When I called to reschedule, we were not able to work out a time prior to my next jazz ensemble practice, leaving me to have to analyze two songs on my own, devise my own chord changes, adapt my own rhythmic influences, basically do everything a jazz musician has to do to prepare songs, however, with only fourteen months' experience and precious little practice time to back up those decisions/actions.

I didn't point this out to my instructor, but at this point, I'm really paying him for his experience and analysis when it comes to these things. So, when I realized I was going to go to two straight ensemble practices with no support in between, I said, "Well, I guess I'll have to rely on my whims and wiles to get me through."

And although he was apologetic, he said, "Hey, that's what jazz is all about."

As it turned out, I did fine (terrible, but fine), and I continue to work at my music. I think it is no coincidence that an anagram for piano is, "O, pain!"

No comments: