Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Let there be music

A while back, my computer went on the fritz, and after two days of tinkering, I finally got it back up and running. When I did, however, my speakers were making an awful racket. Thinking something with my sound card got messed up, I just unplugged the speakers and went without sound for about three months. Then I got to thinking that because I could still hear some sound instead of nothing, along with the crackling noise coming from the speakers, maybe the sound card was fine and the speakers needed replacement.

Long story short, this turned out to be the case. I replaced the USB powered speakers with independently controlled speakers with their own power supply, so now, when I work on my computer (or blog, or play poker online, or workout near the computer, or whatever), I can listen to jazz. Just in the last week, I'd say I've listened to three hours of music a day, and now that I'm off for the next two weeks, I expect that to go up even more. Having been able to devote so much time to listening, I'm going to be able to write a lot of the reviews (on Amazon.com) of music I purchased over the last two months. Being able to listen to music actually increased my productivity!

So, my advice is keep those speakers and sound card working, and keep the music spinning. It's worth it.

No comments: