Monday, November 2, 2009

Rhythmless practice

Just after I got back from Las Vegas a week and a half ago, I sat down to work on our band tunes, and I had a hard time getting my drum machine to work. I fiddled with the power switch and adapter connection and eventually got it to run, after a fashion. A few days later, with only four weeks until our concert, it refused to start up at all. I took it apart and tried to clean the connections and whatnot, but it was done. Since I had bought it used and got basically two years out of it, I decided it was time to buy a new one. Then I found out how expensive these suckers really are. So I went used again on e-bay.

I was really concerned about buying a used machine, because sometimes people are pretty lackadaisical about shipping off their used items. But I found a machine I wanted and was able to get it at a price about one-third of new. Imagine my surprise when I got the machine sent to Alabama (from San Diego) in just three days. I was delighted.

Until I turned the machine on, that is.

It didn't work. The sound was fading in and out, and both channels did not work properly, either in headphones or with jacks. Turning down the volume and messing with the jacks and adapter cord and connection helped (just like with my old machine that gave up the ghost), but I was worried. Since I could make it work, however, I decided to see how it performed over the weekend. Unfortunately, I found some of the buttons and functions inoperable, especially the ones which would allow me to eliminate the bass sounds so I could play just with the drum tracks. So, I am still without a drum machine and practicing with no rhythmic support (not good).

Of course, I will try to get my money back on the defective machine, but with less than three weeks to the concert, I can't wait around and guess at quality anymore, so I ordered a brand new machine from a reputable dealer on Amazon.com. Hopefully they will succeed in getting me the machine this week so I can get back to practicing with precise rhythm and timing.

Solo pianists and band performers can take liberties with time and timing in jazz (sometimes), but in a large combo with lots of solos and parts that bounce back and forth and respond and call, time and timing take on a new importance and "criticality". The level of my performance depends on being able to eliminate this rhythmless practice and get the timing as well as the notes of my parts down as soon as possible.

Come on, Amazon, don't fail me now!

No comments: