Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Q&A with the late George Russell

You may be a jazz heavyweight. You may be a jazz lightweight. You may be late to jazz, or you may be steeped in jazz from before you could walk. So some of you may relate to my latest jazz learning experience, but some of you may not. But from out of nowhere, I’ve found out about this guy who’s name was George Russell. I’d only heard of him in passing for the first time a few months ago, as I noticed one of his recordings on the core collection list, my own collection of which was nearing completion and conspicuously missing his recording.

And I couldn’t find it anywhere, or at least, not anywhere for less than $75 or so. But when I started to read and learn about George Russell, like so many things jazz before this, I wondered how I’d missed him this whole time. I won’t go on about George. You can go to Wikipedia or his eponymous website to learn all you want about him.  As for me, a student in my last semester of jazz class, second straight semester of jazz improvisation, I’m a little aggravated to have all this awareness of George and his contributions to jazz sideswipe me this late in my education. So much so, I had dreams of George’s face talking to me from the psychedelic purple cover of his complete Bluebird recordings (the long version of the CD that is really hard to get).

So, to be honest, I don’t know very much about Mr. Russell, yet, but I plan to learn everything I can about him as quickly as possible. In the meantime, the little exercise below is merely for entertainment and to hopefully clear my dream state of Mr. Russell’s all-knowing, ghostly-yet-serious face. If you know about George Russell, you may even get a couple of my puns/jokes/inferences. To obtain the maximum visual effect, imagine the interview being conducted by Connie Chung in a dark suit from Chanel. (George is in black and white tweed, just like on the cover of “Jazz Workshop”, which is same as the picture above. Also, if you notice, George is not resting his head on his chin, but is, in fact, showing you his fist a good ten inches away from his body..."Watch it, buddy!")

Connie: Thank you for agreeing to talk with us, and thank God for allowing us into heaven to interview you, Mr. Russell.
George: George.
Connie: George.
George: Hmph.
Connie: So, tell us about the afterlife.
George: It sucks. Wrong kind of music, everywhere. It’s like I’m trapped in an ethereal universe above the clouds with a bunch of singing angels and every song is the Oratorio from “The Messiah”…oh, … wait…
Connie:  What’s different about the music?
George: Everything’s Ionian and straight up. I keep begging for somebody to play something in Lydian, or even Dorian, or to at least swing a little bit, but no.
Connie: It sounds positively heavenly here. What’s wrong with that?
George: Nothing, really, but I’m going to throw up if I hear the four chord resolve to the one chord one more time.
Connie: Would you explain that for the beginning jazz musicians in our audience?
George: No.
Connie: Maybe God would let you arrange an angelic choir sometime?
George: Meh! Who’s got time for that?
Connie: Don’t you have an eternity?
George: Yeah, but I’m busy working on another edition of my book.
Connie: Let’s talk about your book. I’ve noticed that on Amazon, first editions of the spiral bound, Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization, are going for anywhere from well north of a hundred dollars, all the way up to $500.
George: Really? Damn. I could’ve used some of that scratch while I was alive. But what’s my book doing in Brazil? I didn’t know they sold books in the rain forest.
Connie: Yes, … but don’t you feel that the title of your book might be a little off-putting to the average jazz musician?
George: I hope not. The editor scrapped my title for it.
Connie: What was it originally called?
George: Conceptualization of Asynchronous Harmony from Chromatic Permutations of Lydian and Mixolydian Flat-6 Tonalities Derived Using Tonal Organization of Synchronous Patterns and Sonic Causations of Melodic Structures.
Connie: That’s quite a mouthful.
George: Please, don’t say “mouthful”, Connie. Anyway, it had a subtitle.
Connie: Which was…?
George: Cool Sounding Jazz Music.
Connie: Yes, um, er, okay. So, on another subject, is Bill Evans up in heaven with you?
George: I thought this was a serious interview.
Connie: Sorry. Why do you think your CD’s are so hard to find back on earth?
George: “Kind of Blue” is hard to find? I heard it’s the most popular jazz recording ever.
Connie: It is, but that’s a Miles Davis record.
George: Yeah, right. Good one.
Connie: Okay, why do you think jazz recordings – with your name on them – are so hard to find at reasonable prices back on earth?
George: My recordings are selling at a premium, too? Goddammit! Oops. Anyway, I’m going to talk to the land Lord when this interview is over about getting a few minutes back downstairs. Got to be a few royalty checks bouncing around with my name, somewhere.
Connie: Do you need money in heaven?
George: I wouldn’t if Jesus would stop cheating at cards. He deals off the bottom, that Son of a …ah, um, God.
Connie: Do you think the average man on the street will ever be made aware of all your contributions to the field of music in general and specifically, jazz theory?
George: No.
Connie: Why not?
George: Well, how many people alive today do you think know about my work?
Connie: Well, a precious, but lucky, few.
George: Hmph. And how many people read this “Blog” magazine you’re interviewing me for?
Connie: Um, it’s a website, and well, not many.
George: Whatever. How many readers, exactly?
Connie: Well, um, basically, one. The author’s parents and siblings don’t even read it.
George: Really? Wow. Must be crap!
Connie: Well, we are interviewing you.
George: Point taken.
Connie: Well then, what would it take for people to become more aware of your contributions to jazz?
George: Let’s see... Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber doing a duet of my “Ezz-Thetics” arranged by Ozzy Osbourne on the first ever joint Grammy/Academy Awards show. Hosted by Charlie Sheen, of course.
Connie: I thought you wanted this to be a serious interview?
George: Pink and that other Justin then. I’ll do my own arranging. We can do without Charlie, too. I don’t think the folks up here are going to let him work for a while, anyway.
Connie: Ahem. Any special message for our readers?
George: Well, always remember: Don’t confuse chromatic Lydian with Lydian augmented or Lydian flat-7. The dominant chord functions as a five, but it sounds like a one, whereas in the augmented, you have the case where…
Connie: Ahhh, thank you, George, I think that’s all we have time for.
George: All you have time for, Connie. I’ve got an eternity.

2 comments:

Lil said...

Love your writing, Eric, especially your humor. Very entertaining. And as I said before, you amaze me. I love your passion for Jazz. I myself have no musical talent at all, your mom got it all and passed it on. I tried to learn the piano once years ago and still regret not trying harder.
I will read your blog more often. Will try to catch up. Luv ya.

Eric said...

Thanks for your support. Now I have two readers!