Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sure glad they invented cell phones


 Otherwise I’d have to be waiting by the phone for a call.

Player #1: The Apple iPhone
I’m stepping up my piano shopping in earnest. I have already decided that my next piano will be my last – or maybe second last – so I decided to sell my stamp collection to fund the purchase. Although I have been collecting stamps for forty years and it will be hard to see them go, it will be nice to see a classic black baby grand piano in the house.
Player #2: A stamp from my collection (expensive one)
 Back in January, I called a buyer from a reputable company about my collection. I sent them an inventory and description, pretty much like I did for the insurance company a few years earlier. They were definitely interested (I did say I’d been collecting for forty years, right?) but not surprisingly, Alabama is not one of their hotspots for buying trips. He told me he’d call me the next time he expected to be in the area, and I suspected that would be the end of it for a while.
Player #3: One of the pianos good enough to be the last piano I buy, ever.

Then suddenly, last week, he told me he would be here this week and next. I told him when I was available, and now, I’m waiting. My stamps are ready. I even have boxes ready. All I need is a buyer with a checkbook and his willingness to write a Steinway-like (or at least Yamaha-like) number on it.

Ring, dammit! Ring!

2 comments:

LB said...

You were a baby when you started collecting, right? The piano will be lovely. Wish you all the best!

Eric said...

Yep, an eight year old baby. Grandma gave me some postal workers stamps in 1972. Now, I'm trying to parlay them (and a bunch more) into something useful.