Saturday, March 30, 2013

Slight change of pace for jazz and piano fans

This is the kind of thing that happens to me when I’m not getting run over by unusual episodes of serendipity or attending awesome jazz concerts:  people send me music to review. A marketer in New York happened to read one of my Amazon reviews (yes, some people actually do read my reviews) about pianist Brad Mehldau, and he asked me to review a new recording by an artist he represents. It’s called “A Single Noon” by composer and pianist Gregg Kallor (rhymes with ‘valor’), and it’s due to be released on April 30. I’m always up for a new listening experience, so I was glad to accept the gratis CD in exchange for a review.
 
Looks like Gregg could spare a piano. Maybe if I ask nice...
Let me start by saying that, I assumed it would be a jazz work (especially with one of my favorite jazz pianists, Fred Hersch, assisting in the producer’s chair on this recording), but Mr. Kallor’s music (the recording is all original compositions in a suite format) tends more toward the classical side. The song titles are evocative of themes that you might expect could be either classical or jazz, like “Broken Sentences” and “Espresso Nirvana”, but Kallor takes the proposed themes a lot farther and deeper than the typical listener probably expects. They end up being far more dramatic and classical sounding, with movements and themes being presented within the songs themselves, but also propping up the “Homage to New York” theme of the entire work. I found some of the songs, “Straphanger’s Lurch” and “Giants” for example, are like mini-concerts themselves, with multiple movements, intertwining themes, tension building and resolution, all in neat, small packages.

As for the piano side, I honestly felt Mr. Kallor is about as technically brilliant as any modern pianist I've heard lately. While he’s nowhere near as bluesy as Keith Jarrett or Chick Corea, he does exhibit some of the fluid “moodiness” of Jarrett’s earlier solo work. Not surprisingly, the overall sound and temperament of the Kallor’s playing was very similar to Mehldau’s trio work (although I don’t think it compares well to his more recent work, even if it is less jazzy). Still, Kallor does easily demonstrate the same control of dynamics and timing that Mehldau is becoming more and more known for. Many of the songs as played by Kallor also have variations in tonality that require a certain sensibility and attention to overall effect that contemporary pianists do not always actively foster these days, but Kallor transitions easily from speedy-soft, to slow-soft, to slow-loud, to speedy loud, or whatever is required. I found his phrasing during these transitions to be slightly on the exotic side, not unlike Gonzalo Rubalcaba’s Cuban influenced solo work. The sound of the work is crisp and clear, never muddied or vague, no doubt one of the big advantages of having a fellow pianist as producer.

A Single Noon is an interesting piece of music. Since I skew to jazz pretty much all the time, I must confess this classic-leaning recording wasn't exactly to my taste, but Mrs. S drags me to just enough classical concerts (usually with a “But there’s a piano” interjected in the argument) that I could appreciate and enjoy what I was listening to. The songs are original and interesting, and Kallor’s playing is stunning at times and always proficient, so when it comes time to post my review on Amazon, I’ll have no problem giving it four stars. Excellent stuff. I was definitely privileged to receive an advance copy, so thank you Andrew and Gregg wherever you are!

No comments: