Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Blind and dumb in both ears

I always loved that episode of The Little Rascals where Buckwheat, who can't believe what he's seeing, exclaims: "I thought I was deaf and dumb in both eyes!" That's how I felt Monday night in jazz theory class - blind and dumb in both ears - as the three music majors, the music graduate student, and me tried to determine intervals just by listening. It seemed everybody could do it, except me. Same for naming the intervals of chords, types of chords, everything. It is true that I do know and understand my chords, and I actually hear them pretty well too, but when it comes time to actually name the chords in their proper, non-enharmonic form, I struggle a bit.

Then again, that's what I took this course for. That's where I'm weak. That's where I need to improve, where I need to be stronger. Get the technical stuff down, hopefully the music will follow.

Really, I don't see how a jazz theory course would not help me, if for no other reason than I have to write, listen, read, and think about music, purely in an intellectual fashion. It forces me to spend time on music. I have music homework. Application follows but is irrelevant, at least for the time being. It's bound to have a positive effect.

My presence on Facebook will be scarce for the next thirteen weeks. I'm going to be sitting at the piano playing various exercises, sitting at the computer doing ear training, and sitting at the sunroom table writing out chords and intervals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your very informative and well written posts! I very much enjoy reading your updates, hearing about your progress and learning from you.
Would you mind sharing what software you are using for ear training?
Thank you in advance!

Eric said...

And thank you for your comment. I'm using an online application at http://www.good-ear.com/. It doesn't work on Firefox, but it has a lot of programmability functions to allow you to concentrate on things you don't hear as well as others. Unfortunately, I can't say it has improved my hearing much (yet), but I think it would work great for someone with talent.