Thursday, June 19, 2008

Voyage on the Maiden

Well, let me first say that practice does pay off. I had a rather productive piano lesson last night, an hour long to make up for missing last week, but none of the time wasted and lot of pertinent discussion and practice on my playing at its current state. We talked about block chords, easing movement in the left hand, diminished chords, relevant minor chords, ...oh, many things. Even more to the point, we've got a road map for next week's lesson, which will also be an hour long, and it involves a lot of different themes and skills while working on Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage.

I recently purchased the CD of Maiden Voyage, and while I was unimpressed at first, I've been pleasantly surprised as the CD has grown on me. The title track itself I have always liked, and I think that while the MV voicings have become overused almost to the point of cliche, for a new pianist like myself, they lay a foundation of tonality that is easy to build on, because the chords range over a good portion of the register and include a seventh and what amounts to (I guess) some kind of suspended chord. What I mean is, the chords are really only useful in one context (playing Maiden Voyage and songs that sound like that), but in that context, they are extremely useful and reliable. (Of course.)

Because bashing out chords is, however, so one dimensional and not all that much fun and only improves one aspect of my playing, we also decided to try a different sort of Parker lick, so I'm going to have a go at Ornithology this week. I'm pretty sure I've got a recording of it around, pretty sure on one of my newer CD purchases, so I'm going to have at it pretty good this week. I mowed the grass Tuesday and don't have any plans for this weekend, and Mrs. S has a few things going on that she will be out of the house here and there, so this should be a big practice week for me and I hope to report a lot of progress between now and next Thursday when I run down next week's lesson in this spot. The only thing that will take some time away from practice is going through my CD collection and updating my list of songs that I have recordings for so I can listen and play along if necessary. That is not easy to maintain with the number of CD's I've been purchasing and what with trying to write reviews about them on amazon.com and, obviously, listen to them.

And something a bit off the track: We've had a traffic light installed at the entrance to our subdivision. There've been some accidents (a fatal one a month ago) and a lot of close calls, and the soccer moms on their cell phones can barely get in and out as it is, so the city deemed they deserved some help. I was against the light because I saw the issue to be more one of lack of driving skill than of needing to control traffic, but after two days, I now see this is a great advantage for me. Since I turn right coming out in the morning and left going in in the evening, I was required to make a stop (at the stop sign) coming out before I could go right, and could proceed if there was no traffic, else I had to wait for it. Coming home, I could proceed right through (turning left) if there was no traffic, but would often have to wait a while for traffic, or worse, for some dumbass to make a turn in front of me. Now, in the morning, if I'm coming out and the light is with me, I get to proceed right through and if it isn't, I'm no worse off than I was before, stopping, waiting for traffic, and then pulling out. So that's a plus. Coming back, I have it even better: I may have to stop for traffic, in which case after a while, I get an arrow, but if I'm lucky and there's no traffic, I can proceed right through any way. I can't see how I lose, other than the occasional time when I would have gone right through but I have to wait because somebody is pulling out and has the right of way. Say I save five minutes a week because of the light, that's over four hours of extra piano practice time a year! Groovy!

No comments: