Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What I'm listening to lately and some thoughts on the (possibly perceived as neglected) Yoity Tot CD list

Readers may well be forgiven for thinking that I have let the Yoity Tot CD list go to the dogs. Attentive readers will note the addition of Thad Jones' Consummation last weekend was the only addition since the launch of the list back in May, and that there've been no other changes or alterations to the list. "Eric's stopped listening to jazz and the list, once targeted to have 25 titles plus some past title-holder slots is stuck at 15 or 16 now and for ever. Lazy ***!" The fact of the matter is, I've been adding to my jazz music collection like crazy, so much so that Mrs. S sometimes doesn't even find time to upload everything to our iTunes library, or, with so many CD's coming in on a regular basis, isn't sure which ones have been uploaded and which ones haven't. What's more, I've been adding almost exclusively classic jazz recordings recommended as part of the core collection of the Penguin Jazz Recordings Guide, so there haven't been too many duds and slouchers creeping into my listening regimen.

This has created some problems.

First of all, listening time. Right now, I probably own ten CD's that I haven't even listened to yet. The reason is because, after I listen to something once, even if it is a casual listen while cooking and eating dinner or driving to work, before I listen to it a second time, I like to read the original liner notes, compare the musicians playing on it to other recordings, and maybe read up on it in the Penguin. So naturally, this process takes some time. I must admit also that this process sometimes get jumbled up and I forget what I have listened to so far, or I put in Dexter Gordon but think I'm listening to Wayne Shorter, or something like that. This makes for interesting listening and interesting results in formulating my opinion, which is what I'm trying to achieve anyway. But again, this takes time. Secondly, I have to say, despite the overload of what are considered jazz classics, honestly, I haven't found any that are worthy of the Yoity Tot list. One thing I am not interested in is recreating someone else's list. This is my list, so I'm careful about how I listen to and think about a CD and what qualifies if for Yoity Tot. And just to show that I have been doing what I say I am doing, here's a list of what I'm listening to lately and why they haven't made the list:

-Sarah Vaughn with Clifford Brown - Excellent. Really great stuff. But for my money, nowhere near as good as Helen Merrill with CB. Can't put them both on the list. Sorry.
-Love Supreme by John Coltrane - Legendary recording. Legendary work. Unmatched. Historic. But I bought the deluxe edition and the live version from France on disc two is nothing special and overall, I'm not moved by the pieces, original or bootleg. Somebody cries for John Coltrane when they hear this music, but sometimes, I just wish the noise would stop. McCoy Tyner almost saves it, but no, this is not Yoity Tot material.
-Destiny's Dance by Chico Freeman - Probably, this will make the list if nothing else comes along to impress me more. I listened to it once and thought it was crap. Listened to it a second time and "got it", listened to it a third time and was enraptured. The tracks that Wynton Marsalis plays on are especially dynamic. It's not great but it's as deep as the ocean, and that might be enough.
-Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock - Another legendary, historic, epic recording. But it only has five songs on it and only two of them are any good and none of them are that entertaining that repeated listenings don't become a bit boring. (I may be biased here.)
-Speak No Evil by Wayne Shorter - A list candidate. Still thinking about it.
-Our Man in Paris by Dexter Gordon - Another viable candidate. But, like John Coltrane, in places, I just wish it would stop.
-Blue Serge by Serge Chaloff - Probably this will go on the list, even if it will eventually be surpassed and have to be removed. This CD is very interesting and baritone sax is an instrument with a sound completely unto itself. A unique recording.
-The Amazing Bud Powell Volumes 1 and 2 - Great music, crappy recordings. I want them to be better, and that means, they're not good enough.
-The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson Volumes 1 and 2 - Great music, great bands, Clifford Brown, sharp recordings, these have a lot going for them. If Jay Jay doesn't make the list through Clifford (Volume 1 is on the Complete CB on Pacific set that I have, which I'm thinking about putting on the list), I may have to throw this one on there. It's probably good enough to be on the list.
-In My Time by Marian McPartland - Decent. Some interesting moments and a high level of skill, but, it doesn't stand out to me.
-Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery - Borderline. This recording really has its moments and despite my admitted bias against jazz guitar, this is very close to edging its way into the list.
-King Oliver's Complete Creole Jazz Band - Good God! I don't care how historic or trendsetting or timeless or anything the music is. If it was recorded on a street corner by a monkey turning a spindle on a prototype Edison recorder, it's crap.
-Complete Atomic Count Basie - Yeah. That's better. Good enough for the Yoity Tot list? Maybe. Just maybe.

I could go on. Suffice to say, I listen to jazz everyday for at least an hour, not counting my own playing time. When I find a recording that you it to yourself to own, it will get listed.

No comments: