Saturday, December 12, 2009

Next project

The critical listening project has not been going well. That is to say, it hasn't been going at all. I've been forced to reconsider how to approach listening to my collection of music, a problem compounded by the fact that it is constantly growing, and will continue to grow over the holiday period, since I will have more time to listen to music. So, I've decided to abandon the CLP. My new project, which will get me to sit at the piano longer, is considerably less time intensive (I think), and far more practical and achievable.

I'm going to start transcribing songs from recordings.

This is something I know I'm not very good at, having never been able to do it back when I was in rock bands in my teens and twenties. With jazz, I haven't actually attempted transcribing yet, despite reading in multiple places that this is a great way to learn jazz, improve hearing ability, improve compositional ability, improve understanding of chords and voicings, in short, improve everything and anything having to do with jazz music. The main reason I'm going to attempt this is that there are several songs I want to be able to play but I can't find the sheet music for. (At least, it's not in any of my three real books.) I doubt I will be able to reconstruct the chords and voicings just by listening to the recordings, but I did get some hints from my jazz theory class, so I might be able to come up with some. I think by putting forth some effort, I ought to be able to come up with something. Hopefully.

Anyway, that is my next project, which I will begin to tackle, probably starting this weekend but definitely in earnest over the holidays. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

No comments: