Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 56 – Sunday, October 3 – Feels Like Progress:

Goals: Re-install the harp.

Music: Gil Evans’s “Out of the Cool”; Bill Frisell’s “Unspeakable”; Stan Getz’s “Big Band Bossa Nova”. (I elected to skip Ella Fitzgerald, because I have nineteen discs of her music, having succumbed to temptation and purchased the complete songbooks with the complete Louis Armstrong. At this point, I’m more interested in experiencing the breadth of my jazz music collection, rather than the depth of it.)

I re-installed the harp.

Because I could.

Here's the last shot of the harp and piano separated from each other:


I scraped the inside of the piano a little and chipped some of the varnish on the soundboard, but I got the harp in without any major problems and no injuries to myself. I even had the right number and sizes of screws (which I bought a complete set brand new, except for the irreplaceable 8-inch long one). I added new trim around the edges. Everything went smooth and I’m glad to have a bunch more tools back in the toolbox and parts off the floor and back in the piano. Here's me at work on the trim:

After I touch up the inside, I may try my hand a restringing, even though I still have a lot of work to go on the keyboard and decorative trim. I’m anxious to fill back in all the holes before I completely forget what all goes where.

That’s all the work I did on the piano, because our jazz improvisation mid-term exam is next week and I’ve been practicing for that. (I simply can’t put that off any longer.)

In my next entry, I’ll be writing about the Pat Metheny concert I attended last Friday. You don’t want to miss that one; it was a hell of a show.

No comments: