Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Days 78 and 79 – Saturday and Sunday, February 19 and 20 – Tuning in

Goals: Shim loose pins and continue rough tuning piano.

Music: Ornette Coleman’s “Beauty is a Rare Thing” discs 5 and 6; David Murray’s “Ming” (only for as long as I could stand).

Mrs. S. decided to go out on Saturday and she made it clear that she wanted to see some progress on the piano when she got home. So, I got busy and kept plugging away at the loose pins, badly wound strings, and other issues that are awaiting correction on my piano. The good thing is that now it is nothing more than a repetitious process of determining which strings are untunable because of loose pins, removing the pin, inserting a shim and/or a larger pin, tightening down the pin, rewinding the string and rough tuning it to make sure it will stay.

So that’s what I did, both Saturday and Sunday. I’d say about one third of all the pins require shimming, maybe even one half. I started at middle A and after two days of steady work, I’m up to the highest C on the keyboard, which leaves about seven or eight keys to go (remember: my square grand only goes up to A with its 85 keys) to have the upper half of the keyboard tuned and ready. Then I’ll be ready to do the fifteen keys leading down to the single-wound-string bass notes (33 of those) before moving to the hammers to finish up this project.

I’d be making better progress if not for two things: this re-doing the strings bit is really, really tedious. Just terribly boring, yet requiring full attention and awareness, not only to do the job right, but to keep from getting hurt as the strings are loosened and tightened over those 130 year old pin blocks. The other factor is that I reached all this avant-garde jazz crap at the same time as trying to tune the piano, which, for obvious reasons is basically impossible to do. No one can tell the difference between Bb3 above middle C and B3 with David Murray screeching some crap out of his sax. Turn off the music, work, turn on the music, work, turn off the music – that’s doesn’t get it. I worked in silence on Sunday except for the reverb from the strings and soundboard. It may be like that for a while, now.

2 comments:

Nefri said...

I dreamed about the piano last night, and woke up missing it! So I had to re-find your blog, which for some reason was not in my bookmarks list. I know you are sick of the work ... but surfing back in your photos, it looks sooooooo good. It is a work of art. And the inlay looks so nice with your enhancement of it.

I found an article about C.H. Stone that maybe you hadn't seen before... just interesting history. I had not seen it before: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F0081FFC3E5C12738DDDA80A94D0405B8985F0D3

And I found another square grand on ebay that has inlay, but man, it is nothing compared to the inlay of your gorgeous piano. http://cgi.ebay.com/antique-1850-G-H-Barmore-square-grand-piano_W0QQitemZ180619696720QQcategoryZ43376QQcmdZViewItem

Would love to see a pic of the piano, even if its in a heap in the corner.
Kira

P.S. The baby is here, 5 months old. We named her Isis Angelica.

Eric said...

First of all, what an awesome name for a little girl! Congratulations!

Thanks for the Stone article. I'd seen it before, but thanks. And as for the piano on e-bay, it's been there since the day I got mine. It's overpriced and will probably never sell for what he wants. Did you see the other Stone square that was on there? Not nearly as nice, either.

About my piano, thank you very much for your comments. I think you are definitely in touch with the Universe in some unique way to dream of that piano after this weekend. You'll see what I mean if you check out my latest post. Anyhow, I'm going to finish fixing up this piano, somehow. I don't know how playable it will be when I finish, or how long it will take to finish, but we'll see.

Please stay in touch. I want you to see it and be reunited with it when all is said and done. You should at least get to see and hear it once more when all this is over.