Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More Yoity Tot CD's

Today, I’m up for some additions to the Yoity Tot CD list. To wit:

Night Train by Oscar Peterson. I could easily have put this in the first bunch of CD’s that I posted and I couldn’t tell you why I forgot about it, because by far, this is one of my top five most often played CD’s. I like it because it is up tempo, it has a great variety of songs, and Oscar’s performances are always so reliable and true. Mrs. S loves Hymn to Freedom, but I’m partial to the jazzy little rendition of Volare, which is not covered nearly enough in the jazz pantheon, I reckon.

Time for Tyner by McCoy Tyner. After my experiment, this dropped right into my playing rotation, and I’m pretty sure it went something like five or six days in a row in my car, which would be something like five or six complete play-throughs, before I decided to listen to something else, and only then because I started working on Surrey with the Fringe on Top and I wanted something other than McCoy’s perspective. (Wynton Kelly and Billy Taylor’s versions are just too high to aspire to, for not, so I’m now listening to Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley’s version, which gives me the words, which helps with my phrasing.) Anyway, McCoy is a solid standby in our dinnertime music rotation, and like Oscar, a favorite of Mrs. S and I both.

No comments: