Saturday, June 23, 2012

Restoration by destruction


I want to buy a real piano. In order to do that, I need real space. Since I can’t sell the square grand I 90% restored, I've decided to dismantle it. Careful readers of this blog will recall my intention to turn the monster into a bar, but I've started considering another idea: I may do a digital conversion and shove my Yamaha P-70 into the Stone square grand case. The first phase for either project is dismantling and gutting the piano. For my bar idea, I want to preserve the keys, maybe even seal them in acrylic to use as a glass holder or something. If I do a digital conversion, however, the keys become redundant. Anyway, if I do keep the keys, I’ll cut off the long bits underneath to make space in the cabinet if it ends up being a bar.
My innocent square grand piano, awaiting its fate
I’m going to be much more careful about the destruction part, too, if that makes any sense. I plan to write a “how to” manual on restoring and converting square grands, so this is my road map back to realizing that potential. Who knows? Electronic publication may lead to sales that allow me to recover some of my investment in the resulting fiasco.

Yeah, I’m going to start this weekend. I’m excited.

No comments: