Monday, June 25, 2012

Feeling the joy of breaking something

Day two of the dismantling of my piano went smoothly and as planned, succeeding in getting down to the harp and removing it. I can’t tell you how much easier everything is when you know you are not going to be putting the piano back together again. You just tear, unscrew, pry, twist, pull, whatever you want to do on whatever part you want to, and you keep doing it until it comes off, pops out, breaks away, or whatever. I even removed the pedals and most of the accoutrements underneath the piano that supported and moved with the pedals, finally getting stopped by some smallish screws that are going to require a special screw driver (which I borrowed from work today) to remove.

Tuning pins
The sound board, too, has come loose and it is being held by some screws that require a short screw driver to get to. I borrowed that from work today, too.  

Strings
The harp is for sale on craigslist. I’ll probably put the pedal lyre up for sale as well. I’m keeping all the metal together to hopefully gather up enough to make a run to a scrap yard (if I don’t sell the harp). I’m going to wring every penny out of the thing that I can.

Harp
 And I really can’t wait to see how light the piano is when all the insides have been pulled out. Maybe Mrs. S and I will be able to move it ourselves, though I’m planning to get some large bodies from work to assist me to get it out to the garage so I can work on it over the long holiday weekend coming up. There’s going to be a lot more cutting, sawing, hacking, shredding, sanding, and finishing done to it. Yep, it feels really, really good to be taking this piano apart, knowing it will never be a piano ever again. At least, not an acoustic piano, as I still plan to try and insert my Yamaha in it first. I’m keeping the old keys for now. Those will be the centerpiece of the bar, if that’s the route I end up taking. I really didn’t think destruction of this piano could make me feel this good. I had no idea.

No comments: