Saturday, July 10, 2010

What does Terry Gibbs have to do with my piano?

I heard Terry Gibbs’ Dream Band on the radio the other day playing “Jumpin’ at the Woodside”, and I was smitten. I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve ever heard him, and I was absolutely stunned. Of course, the first thing I looked up on the internet showed me that Bill Holman had written some of his charts, so it was no surprise then why I liked the sound of the Dream Band, which is obviously one of the hottest big jazz bands ever to have existed (I think). Right before that, they played some Miles Davis from Walkin’ and that, too, was awesome. So, I was thinking about buying a Terry Gibbs compendium, but I found that it was comprised of works from only four different CDs that were available at reduced prices that would bring the four-CD lot in at only a few dollars more than the compendium, so I decided to buy all four of them. In the process, I picked up Davis’ “Relaxin’”, another one of the ‘in’ series that suddenly so impressed me. What’s all this got to do with my piano?

Nothing.

No comments: