Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 34 – Friday, July 16 – Seeing a man about a piano

Music: None. (We were talking.)

In my efforts to learn something about square grand pianos before purchasing one, I was introduced to Dr. B. He’s been around pianos for a long time, has his own piano restoring and tuning business, and has experience with square grands. Long about when I bought the piano, he and I talked by phone about it, and he expressed an interest in seeing the piano and possibly, advising me on some “dos and don’ts” of the refurbishing process.

So in June, he and I met and he looked over the piano and the work I was doing. He gave me a strong vote of confidence, as he told me I seemed to be doing a good job and was going about the process in the correct manner. He was also kind enough to offer to help me purchase parts as cheaply as possible as well as lend me some of the tools I would need for the process.

Today, July 16, he brought over the tuning pins and spoon bit that I would need for the piano. He also brought me sundry tools that I would need to fix my piano: a wire spool device, a shim chisel, a pin driver, and a soundboard wedge chisel, among other things. He even brought some shims (although I had purchased some already). He spent a good twenty minutes explaining everything and making sure I understood what was in store for me as my project progressed. He even posed for a picture or two for posterity’s sake.
(a couple of shim tools...)

I’m sure we’ll hear more from Dr. B before this is all over.

No comments: