Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 32 – Monday, July 12 – Organizing:

Goals: Get some stuff in order and free up some work space

Music: Terry Gibb’s Dream Band’s “Flying Home

I wasn’t going to have much time but I wanted to be productive, so I set out just to get everything straightened up and stacked so that I could have some space for working, as I’m definitely going to have to do some sanding and veneer work soon and I need as clean an environment as possible. I pulled a folding table that I normally use for poker out of the garage and put all the damper and hammer assemblies underneath it with the various sundry parts of the piano. Then I took all the keys off of piano body and put them back in order on the table. (That’s the best possible storage method for them as it occupies the least amount of space.)

After that, I glued a couple key tops that had peeled up again and worked a little bit on cleaning up the soundboard.

That was basically it. This weekend’s work is going to be dirty, so I’m going to have to get the dining room entrances sealed off with plastic again to keep the dust down, but it’s going to be awesome, anyway. But after I finish the veneer and soundboard and replace the legs, I’ll be prepared to declare having crossed the halfway point in the piano refurbishing project. A lot of the work that will be remaining will be detail work that will take time, but not much effort (I hope).

No comments: