Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 46 – Monday, August 9 – Making Use of TV Time:

Goals: Anything that can be done while watching TV and drinking wine.

Music: Themes from “American Pickers” and “Pawn Stars”.

Yesterday I finally tracked down the screws I needed for the damper arm assemblies. (I actually tracked them down last week, but they were special order; I picked them up yesterday.) With the felt just having been put down, I had no good reason not to reattach the damper arms to their frame. Still, I decided to work on the key felt first.

Although it was not as sticky as I hoped, I had some two-sided tape that was just the same width as the keys, so I decided to attach the small felt pieces using it instead of glue. Some of my double felt pieces had some overlap or were a little uneven and such, so I had to do a lot of trimming of felt. Long story short, in about an hour, I got felt attached to about a third of the keys. I could probably have finished the lot in one night, but it was so tedious and tiring (do you know how hard it is to focus 46-year-old eyes on a TV fifteen feet away and then a piece of quarter inch felt a foot and a half away, then TV, then felt, then TV, then felt…for an hour?), that I decided to work in stages on that and instead moved to the damper arms.

I was able to reattach all the damper arms in exactly one hour.

That was a helluva productive night compared to most Mondays.

Next Monday is the first night of class. I’m enrolled in jazz improvisation, but word has it there are only two students signed up as of now, so it is unlikely the class will be held. We’ll see.

No comments: