Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 43 - Wednesday, August 4: Pain from a punch

Goals: Make some felt punchings

Music: Charles Mingus' "Mingus, Ah, Um"

My punch kit arrived yesterday, so last night I was anxious to try it out on the felt. It did not work like I hoped or expected, at all. In fact, I’m going to have to come up with some kind of solution. I mean, I was able to punch out one piece of felt, but I did so by pressing and rotating the punch because no amount of pounding would get the punch to penetrate the felt. I was using soft-ish backings, so I guess I really need to get a solid piece of wood that I can bang the crap out of to get the punch to go through the felt. But what a pain. I just wanted to sit and watch TV and snap these things out in short order with little effort and distraction. I don’t really want to have to get a hammer and solid surface and pay attention in order to open up 61 holes. But it looks as though I have no choice.

On another note, the University of Maryland, curator of the Howe Collection of Musical Literature, and whom I contacted about getting some information about C. H. Stone and Company, has notified me that they have two catalogs from the 1880's available for photocopy or digital copy. I'm in the process now of getting one of them sent to me.
Very exciting.

No comments: